Creating the web site of the Institute of History of the National Academy of Sciences of Armenia is a significant event for our organization. The site will enable the latest communication methods to obtain information on the Armenian Issue and the Armenian Genocide, the Armenian Diaspora, about the rise and the proclamation of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, the national liberation movement and other issues relating to the Armenian history. Armenians scattered around the world, as well as foreigners will be able to get acquainted with the identity of the Armenian people in Armenian, Russian and English languages. The main purpose of the site is also an appropriate assessment to all the attempts of perverting the historical truth that in our time have become commonplace and finally to give an unbiased resistance to scientific fictions, falsifications and distortion of historical facts.
DIRECTOR OF THE INSTITUTE OF HISTORY, CORESPONDING MEMBER OF NAS RA, DOCTOR OF
SCIENCES, PROFESSOR A. A. MELKONIAN.
The Institute of History of the National Academy of Sciences of RA is a governmental non-profit organization based in the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Armenia. In accordance with its specialization the aim of the Institute is to organize and conduct scientific-technical studies, scientific and educational, editorial and publishing works, preparing scientific cadres to carry out the cooperation between the republican and international scientific organizations and to develop joint research programs.
The Institute of History had a difficult and complicated path of formation. In 1925 was founded the Institute of Science and Arts, which in 1930 was renamed as the Institute of Science. It united researchers in the field of history, archeology, art and other humanities.
In 1932 was created the Institute of Cultural history. On its basis in 1935 was founded the branch of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR (ArmFAN), which consisted of the Institute of History and Literature.
In November 1943 by the order of the Sov. Narkom. of Armenia, on the basis of the Armenian branch of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR was established Academy of Sciences of Armenia. As part of the Academy the Institute of History became a separate institution. The first director who was also the president of the Academy of Sciences was Academician Hovsep Orbeli. After H. Orbeli the other directors of the Institute were A.Hovhannisyan, S. Eremyan, A. Harutyunyan (Arenz), G. Galoyan and H. Avetisyan. Since 2002 to the present day the director of the Institute is Corresponding member of NAS RA, Doct. Professor A. Melkonian.
Founding of the Institute of History of the National Academy of Sciences of Armenia in 1943 gave a new impetus to the development of the Armenian historiography. The Institute became a center of the Armenian historiographical science and preparing of specialists, whose researches distinguished with their broad topic and new scientific approaches.
Currently, the Institute employs 121 staff, including 57 women, 88 scientific workers, including 36 women, 2 academicians, 2 corresponding members, 21 doctors and 47 candidates of sciences.